Friday, August 03, 2007

Edvard Grieg


I was listening to some recordings of Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg last night, and it never fails to entertain me. If not for my father, I would have never thought this composer existed - it was during my teenage years when he bought this album collection of Grieg's compositions (not for me, but for himself). I borrowed it later on to immerse myself on his works and I instantly fell in love with the Piano Concerto in A minor (the first track). It practically pulled me in to start listening to Grieg. Now, I'm a huge listener of his other works, even more than his popular (overplayed?) piano concerto.

In my discovery of Grieg, I have found much entertainment in his works. The best thing about his compositions are high retention and emotional value. There's something in his works that really creates a mood.

From "Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46"
Aase's Death. Very emotional piece ("may kirot"). There's this repeating of three chords at the start, and in went from piano (soft) to forte (loud) - really intense (in sound), but gentle (in mood)

Morning Mood. Great with lazy Sunday mornings or getting myself ready for bedtime on a workday (conclusive yet breathtaking - much like Debussy's "Claire de Lune"). The first time I heard this Grieg work, the scene of Bugs Bunny having a monologue under the tree first came to mind. I've been searching the internet for that background music, asking around, and it turned out to be part of Rossini's "William Tell Overture". But this work by Grieg is encompassing - landscapes, gentle breeze of the cool daytime wind, rays of sunlight over his native Norway. Brilliant, brilliant composition.

From "Lyric Pieces, Opp. 12, 38, 43, 47, 54, 57, 62, 65, 68, 71"
Butterfly
. Like one hopping from flower to flower, flying high, flying low, struggling. It's a short piece that's really good to listen to in the evenings, too. I really wanted to play this on the piano someday. I have a copy of its sheet music, and I found it rather difficult for my level of skill.

Nocturne. Very rich piece. Reminds me of the scene with Baroness Schraeder and Captain Von Trapp in the Sound of Music. Evening sky in the background. Calm, with a little bit of mystery.

There are a lot more beautiful works aside from these mentioned above. The Lyric Pieces (there are 10 books, with 6 to 8 pieces per book), just to name a good place to start.

Which reminds me I have to explore his other works yet. I've downloaded several but I think I heard only a few. I might continue with that.

No comments: