Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Work and Play

I finally listened to the Reinecke Clarinet CD I recently purchased while working on my slides yesterday (until early this morning).

It was good listening to classial music once again, this time, still, in a familiar setting. Via a laptop with MS Powerpoint slides staring back at me. I usually discourage listening to classical music this way. It destroys the frame of thought and appreciation. Nevertheless, I was able to listen intently, but I did not quite like it overall - both the feeling and the CD.

Clearly, the visions that came to my mind were those of fresh and nostalgic mornings. Very nature-friendly. Much like those from scenes in the cartoon,Cedie (I think this is a Filipino title, the name of the Prince is Cedric). This was what I felt specifically in the first movement of Fantasiestucke, Op. 22 (I. Allegro).

But the rest, from how I remember, were repetitions of notes done by the clarinet. I felt it was too much clarinet for me. The "Undine" Clarinet Sonata was a familiar tune. I'm guessing this was one of the tracks Dea sent me before.

After drowning in clarinet music, I followed it immediately with familiar works:

Dvorak's Romantic Pieces
I. Cavatina
II. Capriccio
III. Romanza

and

Shostakovich's 5th Symphony
I. Moderato
II. Allegretto
III. Largo
IV. Allegro non Troppo

I felt a sudden rush while listening to these. Not the best accompaniment while at work, but the familiarity of these tunes made me move much quicker. Although quick and fast, attention was divided. I'd still stop and shut out work just to imbibe the music.

Apparently, in this case, it's not a good suggestion to mix work and play. So, it's time to make way for lull moments - Classical Music time!

No comments: