Monday, June 04, 2007

I Don't Wear Rubber Shoes, I Don't Want an iPOD Nano

My high school friends are a blessing, I know. They just don’t know me that much.

We know each other quite well, but I think it’s myself they know least. Maybe I don’t get to see them as often (not until recently because of a just-concluded outing – we also did Hong Kong + Macau).

When we were in Hong Kong, they were all excited about shopping (fashion, accessories) especially Carlo, Leo, and Robbie. They also shopped for gadgets and techie stuff, mostly Ryan.

I just find it demeaning that they envision me wearing stuff I don’t like and owning gadgets I’m not fond of.

RUBBER SHOES
In our Hong Kong – Macau trip (it’s only Leo and myself by the way who went on to see Macau), I wore leather shoes at the airport and another pair of leather shoes (with rubber soles) for sightseeing and moving around the city. I’m rather sure they’re making fun of me – leather shoes on a hot sunny Hong Kong day, while they wear their slippers (Leo calls it flip-flops, but it sounds so affected) and stylish rubber shoes in Hong Kong Disneyland and shopping centers. They asked me about this and I have told them that, yes, I feel comfortable wearing leather shoes, heeled shoes, even. With rubber shoes, my feet feel cramped, hot, heavy, constricted. And they say that’s the opposite feeling of what ruibber shoes can provide. But I don’t feel it at all.

Back in Manila, we’re soft-planning for a next out-of-the-country trip with Greece-Italy as probable itineraries. And again, the rubber shoes issue was raised again. Robbie says, “I hope you would have rubber shoes for our sightseeing in Greece.” Carlo adds, “Um, slippers would do.” All this, I faced with rejection. I won’t, really. I’ll try, I’ll see, but I may just wear something still close to leather shoes. It’s just really uncomfortable for me to wear rubber shoes.

I like my style and I won’t give it up just to stay attuned and keep myself abreast with today’s fashion. I just wear “hard core” leather shoes in the airport, but during city tours, I love wearing the rubber-soled leather shoes or anything similar (just not sports looking rubber shoes hehe). As opposed to what they believe, I would never wear hard core leather shoes (and I say this pertaining to shoes usually worn in the office) during travel within the city + sightseeing!

iPOD NANO
I recently sold (via Joseph) an iPOD Nano which I obtained without cost. I told my high school friends about it, that I was selling it.

To Ryan’s dismay, he cannot believe that I won’t have the iPOD for my personal consumption. I really don’t see myself using it. The capacity is 2GB. I have around 50GB of classical music files in my laptop and burned CD’s, and the Nano variant is too small. I told them I’m open to having an iPOD, but not the Nano type which I had. Probably something with a sizeable capacity would do, but it’s not the next gadget I wish to buy. I’m looking at a personal laptop, not the office laptop which I often use. I’m also thinking of getting a really good digital camera soon. Perfect set-up for sightseeing – Joseph with his manual SLR (for photos shot “with diligence”), and myself with a digital camera (for just taking pictures). In this way, I don’t have nothing to do while waiting for him take really, really good and well thought-of photographs.

Anyway, the buyer has the iPOD Nano now and I am definitely sure, it was purchased at an affordable price, to think that it’s unopened from case, brand new.


Like I said, my high school friends are a blessing. I just hope they would be more accepting without the judgments and reactions I receive from them.. just the way I keep an open mind about their experiences, thoughts, and identities.

1 comment:

Tambourine Concerto said...

Well, flip-flops is a word, let's give it justice. I'm just not feeling it though.