Monday, September 04, 2006

Drama Unfolds

The Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra (PPO) shall begin its 23rd Season on Friday, September 8, 2006. I'll personally be there to watch the concert - with its repertoire below:

1. Maurice Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe

I'm not sure if they'll play the whole ballet (doubtfully, so). Dea (probably from one of her sources) got that they would play Suite No. 2. The first time I heard it, I immediately associated it with Respighi's Pines of Rome (particularly its 3rd Movement - Pines of the Janiculum). That Ravel Suite was intended for a big orchestra, based on this copy. I still wonder up to now how the PPO would render the piece (not demeaning them, as an orchestra - it's just that I haven't read anything about a chorale that would participate on Friday's concert - and there are voices in this rendition I have).

Maurice Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe, Suite No. 2
New York Philharmonic Orchestra

2. Aaron Copland - Clarinet Concerto

The first movement, very emotional. I felt like I wanted to bring myself to tears. It's easy to get affected with the music of the first movement's exposition, middle part, until probably three fourths of the whole movement (until the upbeat jazz notes of the clarinet cadenza find their way into the piece). The second movement has lots of jazz and modern elements (I just don't know how to define its "jazz"-ness - the way instruments were played? the variation of notes?).

Aaron Copland - Clarinet Concerto
Stanley Drucker, Clarinet
Leonard Bernstein, Conductor

3. Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 3

It's Brahms 1 which is still my all-time favorite, but probably this 3rd Symphony ranks second together with his 4th. I only really liked the first movement from Brahms 4. As for Brahms 3, I'm only familiar with the first and third movement. The first movement's opening notes stay true to the event's name - because of the drama of its opening. An expressive fortissimo of notes for string - conjures a heavy feeling, as if something big happens in front your very eyes. But the rest is not as catchy to me as Brahms 1. The third movement is filled with its own level of drama - makes me think of images of an old person in a rocking chair (except for some "playful" sounding parts).

Johannes Brahms - Symphony No. 3
I. Allegro con Brio
II. Andante
III. Poco Allegretto
IV. Allegro
Eugen Jochum, Conductor
London Philharmonic Orchestra

Hopefully, it will be myself, Joseph, and a good friend, Dea (fellow classical music listener) on Friday. It's getting me excited - most looking forward to the Ravel piece and listening to the expressive lines from Brahms 3 - live!

No comments: