Sunday, September 10, 2006

Live to Play, Play to Live

Had fun during the Philippine Youth Symphonic Band (PYSB) concert I just went to. I'm so proud of my father. For helping build the self-discipline and feed the passion of the band's young musicians. I also feel proud for those childhood talents - so tender an age, so proficient the skill. I'm sure their mothers and fathers feel honored to see them perform with that excellent sound.

My favorites:

Berlioz' "Roman Carnival"
John Williams medley
"Pirates of the Carribean"
"Superman"
Mangione's "Children of Sanchez"

--

The "Drama Unfolds" concert Friday night was a good one.

Got in late due to the awful rains! Hence I only heard 5 minutes of that work by Ravel. If there's anything good that came out of being late, it's getting 50% off the ticket price (my theory - the cashier thought we were students - hence the 50% off students' price - and he had no time to think about it as we were in such a hurry). I promise, I said "none" when he asked, "From what school?".

The Copland clarinet concerto was definitely my favorite that night - particularly the calm and solemn first movement. It was clear. It was perfect... those first few lines up until just before the cadenza sent chills down my spine. It was a breathtaking feeling. Very disciplined playing by clarinetist Jay Hassler (minus blowing the clarinet to get rid of the saliva at some point). It's just a shame that some music students in the audience laughed at it, and I thought it was so disrespectul and inappropriate of them. But nevertheless, the interpretation, as a whole, was very emotional, it just shot right through me, every bone.

Brahms 3 - loved the 1st and 3rd movements (because of their familiarity and wonderful melodies). The 2nd, I almost found dragging for me. At least the 3rd movement was there to resuscitate my interest.

No comments: